26 February 2008

Love and Leases

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I utterly despise moving.  Truly, Madly, Deeply...I hate it.

Despite this fact, I have managed to make 5 different moves since I graduated from college in 2005 (oh my god, that was three years ago?!).  And no, I haven't been hopping from one glamorous locale to the next, I've just been meandering up and down Interstate 65...and Bardstown Rd. in Louisville.  Hopefully, the newest place will hold me down until I graduate in May 2009...at which point I will have the pleasure of strapping my KitchenAid in my front seat and toting it to another locale (yes, I really do that). 

I have found a few positives about moving, most notably:  

1. I make great friends with the folks at Goodwill...and my house is less cluttered.  I tried very hard to follow the if-you-haven't-worn-in-a-year-throw-it-out rule...but I just might need the dress that I wore to a wedding in September of 2007, so I'm hanging onto that one anyway.

2. I find old things I thought I had lost.  I had given up all hope of finding my high school t-shirt quilt and a pair of earrings given to me by the recently-ex-boyfriend, but lo and behold! they showed up during the move.  :)

3. Moving somewhere new gives me false hope that I will become an organized person...and it lasts for almost a month!  I have yet to organized my new place, so the clock hasn't started running yet.  And Spring Break is in 2 weeks, so this means I might be organized until April!

4. I forgot how much I liked living by myself.  If this makes me weird, I don't care.  No need to worry that my roommates will hear me belting it out to Wino while I get ready or notice that I've eaten 2 pints of ice cream in one week.  No more pesky money-swapping during monthy bill paying, no more "who did that?!" and no more sharing anything.  I realize that this makes me a selfish person, but I'm willing to call a spade a spade.  I love my personal space and "me time."  (I still love you Meggie and Claire-Bear!!!)

5. I usually end up reflecting on "LIFE" and where the heck mine is headed.  This is especially pertinent this time around.  As stated in a previous post, I've recently gone through a major break-up.  Put that event within 2 months of moving to a new house and I don't even need to say it out loud that I've been doing some major thinking.  

The major Topics of Thought include but are not limited to (oh my god, I'm so lawyer-y) my non-existent career, traveling, my finances (what finances?!), my family, where to move to next, and of course, men.  

And after all that thinking, I came to the same conclusion for each Topic:  I either need that or I do NOT need that.  Finances and a career?  Yup, need that in the pretty near future.  Travel?  Definitely need some of that VERY soon.  But men?  NO.  DO NOT NEED THAT.  

Maybe having a man in your life is like having roommates.  Sometimes you just have to admit that you like living alone and you don't need someone to split the bills.  Signing a lease for a one bedroom apartment, shluffing all my own stuff into it, and sitting down at the end of the day and hearing...nothing...is an incredibly refreshing experience.  By moving out on my own again, I realized that I'm happy being alone in another space in my life--a relationship.  It's time for some "me time."  A relationship with myself.  

And I need that.   


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just want to say: (1) I feel you on the moving--I do it a lot & (2) I am SUPER jealous that you are living by yourself, it is something that I have always wanted/needed to do! Maybe one day I will be able to afford it