19 March 2008

Movies as Metaphors

 My friend Lucie can relate ANYTHING to Sex & the City.  Recently, I told her about a conversation I had with the recently-ex-boyfriend, and she replied, "This is just like the SATC when Carrie and Big..."  My good friend Ashley swears that the movie "Serendipity" helped her get over he ex-boyfriend.  And while it sounds like I'm doubting or criticizing their wisdom, I am definitely not.  In fact, I watched a movie last night that basically summarized the past 4 months of my life:  Catch and Release.

Normally, I am not a big chick-flick fan (Ok...admittedly, I love the BBC Pride and Prejudice and Legally Blonde as much as the next girl) but this one we really well done.  Really!  Go watch it and you'll understand.  Promise.   :) 

If you know me, you'll know the real-life counterpart of each character.  I'll leave that up to conjecture to avoid offending anyone or airing my dirty laundry on the internet.  But the whole point is that the message really stuck with me:  

1.  Life goes on.  Shit happens, and the best any of us can do is pick ourselves up and figure out what else is out there.  The world keeps turning, and you might as well be part of it. 

2. It's ok to make the choice that other people don't understand.  As long as you're not hurting someone else, you have to do what makes YOU happy, even if other folks don't understand it.  (Cue the lyrics from "The Next Five Years" where Jamie and Kathy say "There's something about us that nobody else needs to know...").

And that's it for today.  No major revelations, just reflections on a cute movie.  I could share a lot more but this isn't the right forum for that.  Just wanted to say that I understand how Lucie and Ash can relate to their life through Hollywood.  Sometimes, a movie can articulate our situation and emotions better than we can do on our own.  For me, even the title says it right now:  Catch and Release.

1 comment:

Heather C. Watson said...

I'm with Lucie on this one (not surprising) -- I tend to have either a Sex and the City or a Gilmore Girls anecdote for nearly every occasion. :)

One of my favorite movie quotes about life, however, is the Hugh Grant Prime Minister's soliloquy at the beginning of "Love, Actually":

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspision love actually is all around."

xoxo
h